Lunchbox-style butane cookers have been stripped of their Australian Standards compliance certification and will no longer be sold in NSW.
According to NSW Fair Trade Commissioner Rod Stowe, testing undertaken at the request of NSW Fair Trading and other State gas regulators found limitations in the cookers’ shut-off valves may cause the devices to overheat and explode.
“We recommend consumers do not buy portable cookers of this type,” Mr Stowe said.
Up to 31 models of butane gas cookers in NSW were withdrawn from sale.
NSW authorities advise consumers who own a lunchbox-style butane stove to cease using the device and seek a refund from their relevant if they’re carrying a receipt.
Phone 13 32 20 for more information.