GENERATORS FOR CAMPING
Ready access to 240V power is important when you’re camping in the bush or even when you only have access to unpowered sites. Read on to learn more about the benefits of generators for camping.
What is a generator?
A generator is a device which converts mechanical energy into electric energy. It provides electricity independent of an electrical grid which makes it particularly useful when camping. A generator is powered by an internal combustion engine (traditional generators) or by a turbine (hydro-electric power generators).
Benefits of generators for camping
There are many advantages for investing in a generator for camping, including:
- Generators provide ready access to power in remote areas or unpowered sites.
- Generators are also useful during power outages at powered sites.
- Having a generator can provide your main power or be utilised as a backup source.
- Generators are highly portable, quick to pack and easy to use at a camp site.
- Generators are invaluable when powering high voltage appliances such as an RV’s air-conditioning units.
Tips for using generators while camping
- Always check with the parks you plan to stay if generators are permitted.
- Be mindful of other campers when using your generator in public camp areas.
- Assess how many appliances will draw power from the generator in order to avoid putting too much load on the generator.
Return to: Power options for camping guide