Fire up the barbecue or campfire for a traditional Mexican feast using simple, no fuss ingredients.
Mexican street corn
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- Knob of butter
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 4 corn cobs, husked and cut in half
- Spray olive oil
- 6 lime wedges and chilli flakes
- Preheat the skillet over the fire and add a knob of butter.
- In a small bowl, combine chilli, paprika, salt and sugar.
- Rub the corn cobs with spices and place on the skillet. Spray corn with olive oil.
- Cook corn until lightly browned on all sides, around 12 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chilli flakes and spritz with lime juice.
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for frying chips
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- Jalapenos (One fresh, or in the jar. Chopped, to taste).
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Goat’s milk cheese or a sharp cheddar, crumbled
- 2 eggs, fried
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat on the fire and fry the tortilla wedges, flipping both sides until lightly brown and crisp. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet, then add tinned tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, garlic and 1 cup of chicken stock. Cook for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Season with salt.
- Add the tortilla chips and stir carefully to coat the chips and cook until heated through.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped avocado, cheese and 2 fried eggs.
Torrejas Mexican toast
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
- 350g brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 10 thick slices of bread
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Place the brown sugar, cinnamon stick and water into a saucepan and cook over low heat.
- Lightly toast the bread on a skillet and set aside.
- While the syrup is cooking, separate the egg whites and add them to a large mixing bowl with a pinch of salt. Set the egg yolks aside in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with a handheld mixer (or electric) until it forms peaks and slowly add each egg yolk while still beating – around 1-2 minutes until the egg yolks are mixed in.
- Place oil in the skillet on medium-high heat while preparing the toast.
- Pour milk into a medium bowl and dip one piece of toast into the milk, then dip the toast into the egg mix, coating well.
- Fry the toast in the skillet until golden brown on each side. Repeat with the rest of the toast.
- Serve with the syrup drizzled over the top.