Native ingredients can be sourced while on the road or online at Bush Food Shop.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr
- 500g kangaroo mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tbsp Kutjera (tomato) sauce
- 1 tsp native thyme
- 1 tsp saltbush
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Mix all the ingredients together and use your hands to make 6 large rissoles.
- Coat each one in a little extra flour. The mix should be sticky but not sloppy.
- Heat a campfire skillet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and cook rissoles until brown and slightly firm to touch.
- Serve with tomato sauce, mashed potato and seasonal veggies.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp ground wattleseed
- 1 tbsp ground lemon myrtle
- 250ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp macadamia nut oil
- Milk for brushing
- Sift the flour and seasonings into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Combine the buttermilk and oil and pour into the well. Mix quickly and lightly to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead until smooth.
- Shape into a round ball, brush with milk, wrap in aluminium foil and place in the hot coals or camp oven for 40–50 minutes (it will sound hollow when tapped).
Lemon myrtle baked cheesecake
TOTAL TIME: 7 hours
- 250g plain sweet biscuits, crushed (Granita biscuits)
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 90g unsalted melted butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 600g ricotta cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp ground lemon myrtle or grated lemon rind
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Grease a springform pan and wrap the outside of it with two layers of aluminium foil.
- Combine crushed biscuits with sugar and butter. Press biscuit crumbs into the base of the springform pan and refrigerate.
- Beat the cream cheese. Add ricotta and sugar and beat for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add cornflour, then add eggs one at a time, beating well each time. Stir in lemon myrtle and vanilla.
- Place springform pan in a baking dish. Pour mix into springform pan. Then pour enough hot water into the baking dish so that it comes halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 140C (120C fan forced) and bake for a further 30 minutes until almost set.
- Remove pan from the water. Let it cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.